Planning your routes in advance!
During periods of heavy snow and ice it’s advisable to follow AA Roadwatch traffic and travel advice which is available online, via Twitter, the Free AA App and the jambuster line, 1850 542 542 to plan the safest route possible, giving yourself plenty of travel time.
Roadwatch will carry Garda warnings about closed roads or advice to not travel on specific routes however it’s also important to keep a general eye on the weather forecast.
In addition to this we recommend that you:
- Get up at least 10 minutes early to give you time to prepare the car.
- Don't drive off like a tank-commander, with a tiny hole cleared in your windscreen. Clear all windows of snow and ice using a scraper and de-icer.
- Use a cigarette lighter to warm a key for a frozen lock. Don't breathe on the lock, as the moisture will condense and freeze.
- Plan routes to favour major roads which are more likely to have been gritted.
- Put safety before punctuality when the bad weather closes in. While it's always a good idea to allow extra time in winter for your journey, drivers must accept the inevitability of being late for work if they are caught up in an unexpected delay.