When listening to traffic and travel reports on the radio, or reading them online, you often hear/see some strange place names. Ireland is full of intriguingly named areas which are sure to raise a smile.
We recently asked our social media followers for their suggestions for some of the quirkier townlands around the country and there was a great response.
Here are some of the places that were suggested.
1. Heavenstown, Wexford – A glorious place to live.
2. Bastardstown, Wexford – A not so glorious place to live.
3. Horetown, Wexford – Only a 30 minute drive to Bastardstown, coincidentally.
4. Fannystown, Wexford – Wexford really does like its quirky names.
5. Muckanaghederdauhaulia, Galway – They should have thrown more letters at it.
6. Muff, Donegal – Always worthy of a mention. For a little something extra, Grainne’s Gap is located not too far away.
7. Crazy Corner, Westmeath – A zany place to live.
8. Hospital, Limerick – Could get confusing if you’re getting a taxi in the wee hours of the night. “I want to go to hospital, please.”
9. Muff Cresent, Nobber, Meath – Surely someone knew what they were doing when this was proposed.
10. Cum, Lahardane, Mayo – No comment.
Main Image Credit: TenthEagle. Used under CC licence.
Map Images: Google Maps Screenshots.