AA Home Membership proudly supports Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week in a bid to highlight the dangers of a killer toxin which can be avoided. On average between one and two Irish people die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning each year.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas and is commonly referred to as the “Silent Killer” in that it is tasteless, odourless and colourless making it difficult to detect without having an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed in your home. CO poisoning can occur as a result of a gas appliance being fitted incorrectly or poorly serviced. Blocked vents, chimneys, flues as well as fumes produced from oil, petrol, coal and wood, combined with a lack of oxygen in the combustion are prime causes of carbon monoxide. According to carbonmonoxide.ie almost a half of accidental CO poisonings occur as a result of fumes inhaled from home fires.
Identifying whether you have contacted CO poisoning can be difficult in that the side-effects vary from common cold/flu-like symptoms to more serious sickness, nausea, diarrhoea, sudden dizziness and chest pains.
Should you experience any of these side-effects, switch off all gas appliances, open all windows and doors and get fresh air immediately. It is also advised to contact your doctor and inform them that you may have possibly contacted CO poisoning where they can adhere to the routine medical protocols.
Every household should have a fully-functioning carbon monoxide alarm installed. But don’t stop there; you still need to regularly service home appliances, air-vents, flues and chimneys. As a vital preventative measure, you need to get your boiler serviced regularly. As part of a whole host of benefits that caters for a variety of home emergencies our AA Home Membership policy includes boiler breakdown, labour, parts, materials and VAT of up to €2,000 which is subject to terms and conditions.
To get AA Home Membership from as little as €9.99 per month click here.