AA checklist for a safer home
If your home or vehicle has ever been subjected to vandalism no doubt you felt angry, frustrated and inconvenienced. Vandalism can take many forms and among the most common, according to our home insurance research, are the smashing of windows, throwing of damaging items such as glass bottles, paint, stones, garden furniture and eggs, damage to garden furniture and graffiti.
To help protect your home against vandalism we’ve put together the following preventative tips:
- Report broken street lights near your home to your local council.
- Install motion sensor security lights on the exterior of your home.
- Review your home for security weak spots.
- Avoid unsavoury items being pushed through your home’s letter box by installing a draft excluder or have a special anti-vandalism model fitted.
- A visible burglar alarm on the exterior of your home is likely to prove a deterrent for vandals as well as thieves.
- Never leave your home’s windows or doors unlocked.
- Lock your home’s gates at night.
- Trim back any over grown hedges encircling your home.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- Lock your garden furniture away at night.
- If you witness an act of vandalism taking place, take a photograph and note the details, if safe to do so and report it to the Gardaí immediately.
- If you live in an apartment block, consider joining the residents committee so you can influence any anti-vandalism measures taken. Alternatively you may want to join your local neighbourhood watch group.
- When going on holidays, ask a neighbour to keep an eye on your home and put one or two lights on a timer if you can. Better still, get someone to housesit.
- Take out competitive home contents and home building cover with AA Home Insurance. All Home Insurance policies offer insurance cover from theft, malicious persons or vandals. To get a great value Home Insurance quote click here.
Making a vandalism claim on your Home Insurance policy:
When making a vandalism claim to your home insurer it’s important to get it right. To help you do this, we’ve put together the following steps:
- Call the Gardaí immediately to report the crime.
- Double check that it’s only vandalism that has been committed and not theft.
- Don’t move anything until the Gardaí have examined your house and given the all clear.
- Read over your Home Insurance Policy and the information it provides in relation to vandalism claims
- Call AA Home Insurance as soon as possible on 0818 227 228 to put your home insurance claim in motion
- Keep any receipts relating to immediate repair work for submission with your home insurance claim.