This is a summary of the AA Ireland Travel Insurance Policy which is underwritten by Inter Partner Assistance SA. It does not contain the full terms and conditions of cover, but highlights the main benefits and significant exclusions to help you decide if the policy meets your needs. The types of cover available are single, annual multi trip and backpacker as shown in the table at the end of this document. Full details are in the Policy booklet.
A Policy booklet is available to download from our website, or on request, and will be issued to you automatically if you choose to take out a policy. It is important that you read the Policy booklet carefully when you receive it and contact us immediately if there is anything you do not understand. Where a heading is underlined in this policy summary, full details can be found in your Policy booklet.
Types of insurance and cover
Travel insurance for single trips, annual multi trips and backpacker trips - your travel insurance certificate will show your selected cover.
- It's essential that you refer to the Important Health Requirements relating to health section in the Policy booklet as failure to comply with these conditions may jeopardise your claim or your cover.
- You must tell us as soon as possible of any changes to your circumstances that may affect your travel insurance policy. If you do not tell us about relevant facts or changes, your policy may not be valid.
- If you're travelling to Australia and you need medical treatment you must enrol with a local Medicare office.
If you’re travelling to Australia and you need medical treatment you must enrol with a local Medicare office.
Special conditions apply to each section of your policy so please refer to the Policy booklet for full details.
Unless you have selected to waive the excess – (your travel insurance certificate will show if you've selected this option), your policy has an excess which applies to each claim, per section, per insured person for each separate incident. The policy excess, applicable to the cover purchased is shown in the schedule of benefits on page 2 of the Policy booklet.
Duration of the policy
For Single Trip and Backpacker travel insurance, this will be from the date you arrange cover until the completion of your trip, but not in any case exceeding the period shown on the travel insurance certificate. For Annual Multi Trip travel insurance this will be from the start date of cover shown on the travel insurance certificate for individual trips during a 12 month period.
You are free to cancel this policy at any time. If you wish to cancel within 14 days of receipt of the policy documents, please send your request in writing. You will receive a full refund providing you have not travelled and no claim has been made or is intended to be made and no incident likely to give rise to a claim has occurred. If you cancel after the first 14 days of receipt of the policy documents then no premium refund will be made. See General Conditions applicable to the whole policy in the Policy booklet.
Making a claim
For all claims call us on 01 431 1204. Claims must be made within 31 days of the event which may give rise to a claim.
Does your complaint relate to:
If A, you need to, contact AA Ireland Travel Insurance on Tel: 01 617 9988 or post to Quality & Compliance Manager, AA Ireland, 61a South William Street, Dublin 2
A claim on your policy?
If B, you need to, contact AXA Assistance Claims Centre on Tel: 01 431 1204 or post to AXA Assistance Claims Centre, Kilmartin N6 Retail Park, Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
Or you may use email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complaints can subsequently be referred to the Financial Services Ombudsman. Full details can be found in the Policy booklet.
Significant features and benefits
The table shows the maximum benefits you can claim. Some sections are optional.
Significant or unusual exclusions and limitations
Cover for Medical Conditions
Please note that no claim arising directly or indirectly from a pre-existing medical condition affecting you will be covered
- Value Single Trip and Annual Multi Trip policies are available to insured persons up to age 64. If you reach the age of 65 during the period of insurance, cover will continue until the next renewal date but not thereafter. Backpacker policies are available to insured persons up to age 45.
Maximum trip durations are as follows:
- Single Trips - 31 days.
- Annual Multi Trips: Unlimited number of trips per policy period with maximum individual trip durations of up to 31 days
- Backpacker Trips: 365 days
- Sports and Activities shown on page 23 in the Policy Wording booklet are automatically built into your policy at no additional cost. Under no circumstances will any claims arising from any unlisted activities be covered regardless of whether undertaken as part of an organised excursion or event, unless declared to and agreed by us and an additional premium paid if required. Please also read the General Exclusions secion of the Policy wording booklet.
- Travelling to a country, specific area or event to which the travel advice unit of the Department of Foreign Affairs, World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body has advised against all or all but essential travel.
- Wilful, self inflicted injury, solvent abuse, alcohol abuse and the use of drugs.
- Unlawful actions and any subsequent legal proceedings brought against you.
Section A - Cancellation or Curtailment charges
- Any claims arising directly or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition(s).
- Any claim resulting from change of plans due to your financial circumstances except if you are made redundant and qualify for redundancy payment under current Republic of Ireland legislation.
Section B - Emergency medical and other expenses
- Treatment or surgery which in the opinion of the medical practitioner in attendance and AXA Assistance can be delayed until your return to Ireland.
- Expenses incurred as a result of a tropical disease where the recommended inoculations have not been undertaken.
- Medication, which prior to departure is known to be required.
Section C - Personal Accident
- Any claim arising directly or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition(s).
- Any disability or death that is caused by a worsening of physical health (e.g. a stroke or a heart attack) and not as a direct result of a sudden, violent, external, unexpected bodily injury.
- Any claim arising as a result of you participating in sports and activities marked with an asterisk or sports and activities not listed on page 23.
Section D - Baggage and passport
- Valuables or your passport left unattended at any time (including in a vehicle or in the custody of carriers) unless deposited in a hotel safe or safety deposit box.
- Business goods, samples or tools used in connection with your occupation.
- Theft of or damage to personal belongings from an unattended motor vehicle unless: the items were out of sight in the locked motor vehicle; and evidence that force and violence were used to get into the motor vehicle is provided.
- Sports equipment whilst in use and ski equipment.
- Contact or corneal lenses, hearing aids, dental or medical fittings and other items are excluded - please refer to your Policy wording for the full list.
- Personal belongings left unattended at any time.
Section E - Personal liability
- Pursuit of any trade, business or profession, or the ownership of any vehicles, aircraft or mechanically operated watercraft.
||Value (Single Trip, Annual Multi Trip & Backpacker) Cover Limit
||Excess per Insured person, each and every incident
||Cancellation or Curtailment
||Up to €1,500
||€150 (€30 Loss of deposit)
|Emergency Medical Expenses and other expenses
||Up to €3,000,000
|Repatriation – included above
|Infants born following Complications of Pregnancy (maximum per event)
||Up to €75,000 (or €200,000 for trips to USA or Carribean)
|Emergency dental pain relief
||Up to €200
||Up to €5,000
||Max Benefit up to €15,000
|Loss of limbs or Loss of sight
|Disablement Death Benefit
||€2,000 (under 18 years)
|Baggage and Passport
||Up to €1,500
|Single Item Limit
|Valuables Limit in total
|Unreceipted Items Limit
||Up to €150
|Unreceipted Single Item Limit
|Replacement of Passport
||Up to €75
|Emergency Passport Travel
||Up to €75
||Up to €1,000,000
||€20 per 12 hour period up to €200
||Up to €1,000 (after 24 hrs)
||Up to €500
This statement is valid from 04/16
* Available upon payment of an additional premium and shown in the travel insurance certificate.
AA Ireland Limited registered office: 61a South William Street, Dublin 2. Registered in Ireland, number 389194 AA Ireland Limited trading as AA Insurance is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. AA Insurance is tied to Inter Partner Assistance SA for the purposes of selling Travel Insurance.