Recognised internationally, an IDP allows you drive a private motor vehicle abroad when accompanied by a valid full Irish driving licence. It is valid for one year from date of issue.
An IDP is also available to EU/EEA* Licence holders who are also resident in Ireland.
There are 2 types of International Driving Permits:
- A 1949 Convention IDP/permit is usually issued, and is recognised in most countries.
- A 1926 Convention IDP/permit is required for the following countries: Brazil, Burundi, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
How much does it cost?
Our €15.00 Express Service means your IDP will be sent to you within 3-5 working days.
How do I apply?
Fully completed IDP application form which you can download here: Download IDP Application PDF and enclose the following:
- A photocopy of your current valid Republic of Ireland drivers licence (front and back).
- A passport size photograph – signed by you on the reverse.
- A photocopy of a household bill dated in the last 3 months of the applicant (only necessary if applying with a non Republic of Ireland driving licence)
All applications must be sent by post in a sealed envelope to: AA Travel Services, P.O. Box 11331, Dublin 2.
For security reasons The AA cannot accept cash. You can pay your fee by credit/debit card, by cheque or postal order made payable to The AA.
If two or more permits are being requested, please send an additional passport photograph and applications form for each permit along with the appropriate fees. If the application isn’t fully complete or you haven’t included all the items listed above it will be returned to you to re-submit. We will only accept applications sent by sealed envelope.