Skip to Content
Items You Should Include In Contents Insurance Items You Should Include In Contents Insurance

AA Home Insurance

Items You Should Include In Contents Insurance

Published 9th August 2023Read Time 3 min

Contents insurance is a type of insurance that covers the cost of replacing or repairing your possessions in case they are damaged, stolen, or destroyed. It is important to have contents insurance to protect your valuable belongings and avoid unexpected expenses. With The AA helping people across Ireland get a better deal on contents insurance, it helps to get a clear view of what constitutes contents.

In this article, let’s look at some of the items you should include in contents insurance, including some that people often overlook or wouldn’t think to include in a policy.

Furniture and appliances

Furniture and appliances such as sofas, tables, chairs, beds, washing machines, refrigerators, and televisions are some of the most common items people include in their contents insurance. These items can be expensive to replace, and insurance can give you peace of mind knowing that you can replace them if damaged or stolen.

Electronic devices

Electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, tablets, and cameras are also valuable items that you should include in your contents insurance. These devices are not only expensive to replace, but they also often contain essential personal and financial information that you don’t want to lose.

Jewellery and other valuables

Your contents insurance policy should also include jewellery, watches, and other valuable items. Make sure to keep receipts or appraisals of these items to prove their value if you need to make a claim.

Clothing and accessories

Clothing, shoes, and accessories can also be included in contents insurance. While they may not be as valuable as other items, they can still add up to a significant amount, especially if you have a large wardrobe.

Sports equipment

If you have expensive sports equipment such as golf clubs, skis, or bicycles, you should include them in your contents insurance policy. These items are valuable and often used outside the home, making them more susceptible to theft or damage.

What does content insurance cover? Home Insurance, House Insurance, Home Insurance Ireland, House Insurance Ireland

Artwork and collectables

Artwork and collectables such as paintings, sculptures, stamps, coins, and antiques are often valuable and should be included in your contents insurance policy. However, make sure to get an appraisal of these items to prove their value if needed.

Personal documents

Important personal documents such as passports, birth certificates, and insurance policies should also be included in your contents insurance policy. These documents are not only difficult to replace, but they are also crucial in case of an emergency.

Happy with your contents?

If this article has got you thinking about how to evaluate the contents in your home, we recommend reading Are You Content with Your Contents? – a great little blog post that talks about better protecting yourself.