Apple crumble good for 4-6 pax
For the crumble
- sieved 300g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 175g brown sugar
- 200g unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the filling
- 450g apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 9in/23cm ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
Lovely with either custard or vanilla ice cream…….or perhaps both!