In recent years, Irish weather has been changing with an increased amount of weather events & storms.
Our AA Weather Warnings centre provides you with all the information you may need before & during a storm to prepare, protect & react.
- Prepare : This is the best way to plan & ensure your safety during a storm. Use this time to think of what you might do or where you might go should a orange or, red alert warning be issued for your location.
- Would you have enough supplies at home should a rapid storm develop?
- If you needed to leave, do you know the best route to take or public transport to use?
- Is your home or car secure & protected from falling debris or downed electricity lines?
- If you live in a residential house, are your roof tiles secure & gutters empty so water can flow?
- You can read more information on our dedicated protecting your home in a storm guide.
- Take photos of your property, car & any outside items which are covered on your Home Insurance or Car Insurance policy. This will help if you need to make a claim after the storm has passed. If you need to check your level of cover, you can do this through your MyAA portal.
- Protect : Now that a storm has been declared, it’s time to act on the planning you’ve made in preparing for a storm. If at any point during the storm you need to contact emergency services please call 112 or 999.
- Stay up to date on weather warnings for your area & be prepared if there is a risk to life in red warning situations.
- Secure any outside belongings like garden furniture, umbrellas & trampolines.
- If you have a pet make sure they’re safe & indoors comfortably. This can be a scary time for them too.
- If you need to leave urgently, make sure a bag has already been packed with supplies & medication (if needed). Make sure the area is safe before you to leave & use a map app on your phone to check for any issues along your route.
- React : Once the storm has passed & the weather warning has been lifted it’s time to check your home, car & belongings for storm damage.
- Make sure to check all belongings carefully for damage.
- Visually inspect your home roof from a distance for loose tiles or fallen debris.
- Check your car for any damage from objects which may have blown in the wind.
- Make a list of any damage you find to assist you if you need to make a claim on your Home Insurance or Car Insurance policy. If you need to make a claim, you can view all the necessary phone numbers or contact details above.