Moving to a new home is an exciting time but, it involves a lot of effort and planning. There is inevitable stress, especially now as we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic in Ireland. We are here to help during this unusual time with our moving house checklist during COVID. There are 4 crucial steps in the moving process, save yourself extra hassle and enjoy a safe moving experience by following our guide.
Step one: Gather the essentials for moving into your new house
- Start sourcing boxes for packing, check-in with your local supermarkets for spare boxes.
- Start saving up some old newspapers/magazines for wrapping up delicate items.
- Pick up some scissors, tape, and markers (this can help way more than you imagine).
- Collect cleaning products for a deep clean.
- Buy Gloves, Sponges, Wipes, Bin bags and anything else you need to clean.
- Buy some emergency supplies i.e., a torch, batteries, and some candles.
- Stock up on hand sanitiser for you and your moving team.
- Make sure you have plenty of extra masks for everyone.
Step Two: things to do before moving into a new house
- Book your moving van or organise your moving date with family and friends.
- In advance of the move start eating your frozen food so it doesn’t go to waste.
- Investigate the parking situation at your new place, do you need to apply for a permit?
- Take some time to look around for new providers if you can’t switch your services.
- Don’t forget about switching your phone, internet, tv plans, gas, and electricity plans.
- Check the weather forecast to make sure it's not dismal at the time of your move, nobody wants soggy cardboard boxes.
- Check with your insurance provider that you're covered for lost, stolen or damaged items during the move.
- Set up your post redirection, this can be done online with An Post.
- Confirm your moving date and time with your chosen company/ family and friends.
- You will also have to update your details with your:
Step Three: Moving house packing checklist
- Declutter, trust us you won’t want to take everything.
- Donate or recycle any items you can.
- Start packing as soon as possible.
- Don’t overload your boxes.
- Start packing your attic and storage closets first.
- Also, focus on packing up less essential items first.
- Leave packing your essentials till last, this would be toothbrushes, phone charges and anything you need daily.
- Label every box, writing whose belongings are in each box or what room they came from.
- Use a different coloured marker for your essential items and emergency supplies.
- Gather up any important documents and put them in a safe folder or box, this could be passports, birth certs etc. You don’t want to lose these in the move.
- Deep clean your house, sometimes it is easier to do a deep clean after you have everything moved out. This isn’t always possible so make sure this is done before your moving date.
Step four: Moving day checklist
On the morning of your moving day, the last thing you should do is:
- Strip your beds and pack the last essentials.
- Make sure to remember to use a hand sanitiser before you start loading and unloading everything.
- Don’t forget to wear your masks during the move.
- Take an easy pace to allow for social distancing between you and the movers or whoever is helping you on the day.
- Before you close the door on your previous home make sure you take & submit a meter reading of your Electricity & Gas. You will also have to take a meter reading of your new property.
- Finish up with some final bits of cleaning.
- Make sure you have everything with a once over of every room and press in the house.
- Once you have everything in the house take a breather.
- The first things you will need to unpack is the bathroom supplies and any other essentials.
- Make up your beds and unpack the kettle for a well-deserved cuppa.
- Have a check over your moving list and make sure you have everything.
- Lastly, don’t let the unpacking phase drag on.
Avoid any moving day disasters by following our step-by-step guide. All the effort, organisation and planning will be well worth it on the day. Enjoy settling into your new space.
Keep your new home and belongings secure with great value on AA home insurance, get your quote online and enjoy a €60 discount today!*
Continue reading our guides for homeowners:
*Min premium of €218 & 5 years claims free. €60 applied to new business online quotes. Acceptance criteria, T&C’s apply.