- Give yourself plenty of extra time to deice your car and allow for traffic delays. Pouring a kettle on the window is not a good idea as it could weaken/crack the glass.
- Give the battery a chance! Start the car first and don’t switch on other electrics until after it’s started.
- Fully clear all windows using a scraper and de-icer.
- Remember stopping distances are 10 times longer in ice.
- Gentle manoeuvres are the key to safe driving.
- Wear comfortable, dry shoes.
- Always apply brakes gently. Release them and de-clutch if the car skids.
- Check the thread depth on your tyres. We recommend no less than 3mm.
- Pay attention to your brakes. If you notice any warning signs that they're not responding as well as they should, take your car to a garage straight away to have them inspected.
Take care on icy roads today
It's another icy start today. You can keep up to date with the worst affected areas as always through our Roadwatch updates available online here, via @aaroadwatch, on the radio and every morning on Ireland am. Here's a few quick reminders from one of our Patrols, Trevour Freeman, on how to adapt your driving style to the road conditions: