It’s another icy start today. You can keep up to date with the worst affected areas as always through our Roadwatch updates available online here, via @aaroadwatch, on the radio and every morning on Ireland am.
Here’s a few quick reminders from one of our Patrols, Trevour Freeman, on how to adapt your driving style to the road conditions:
- Give yourself plenty of extra time to deice your car and allow for traffic delays. Pouring a kettle on the window is not a good idea as it could weaken/crack the glass.
- Give the battery a chance! Start the car first and don’t switch on other electrics until after it’s started.
- Fully clear all windows using a scraper and de-icer.
- Remember stopping distances are 10 times longer in ice.
- Gentle manoeuvres are the key to safe driving.
- Wear comfortable, dry shoes.
- Always apply brakes gently. Release them and de-clutch if the car skids.
- Check the thread depth on your tyres. We recommend no less than 3mm.
- Pay attention to your brakes. If you notice any warning signs that they’re not responding as well as they should, take your car to a garage straight away to have them inspected.