With many of us looking to keep out motoring costs down, it has never been more important to make sure you’re getting the best value car insurance quote that fits your needs. Here are our top tips to ensure you get the best deal on your car insurance.
- Drive safely: As insurance premiums are calculated by the risk of a claim, being seen as a safer/less risky driver can help bring your premiums down. If you can reduce your mileage then doing so may lead to some savings, but most importantly driving legally will help you avoid any nasty spikes in the cost of cover. Keeping your license penalty-point-free will help you save significantly on cover.
- Choose your car wisely: Bigger engines and older cars both tend to cause premiums to be higher. Older cars are more at risk of breaking down, while bigger engines are in a higher insurance category, which can both increase your premium.
- Consider the security systems, when buying a car. A car with an alarm will be cheaper to insure than one without an alarm. Also, before you complete the purchase get a quote online so you know how much cover will cost you before you change car.
- Consider where you park your car. If possible, parking in a garage or closed off area may reduce your premium as opposed to parking your car in an area where it’s more at risk of damage or theft.
- Check what discounts your insurer offers. Many insurers will from time to time offer specific discounts on their products so it can be worth contacting your insurance provider to see if there are any additional discounts you can avail of. For example, until the end of August the AA is offering a discount of up to €100 if you get a car insurance quote online
- Adding another driver to your policy may help you reduce the cost of your premiums. Many motorists are unaware that they could bag themselves a further discount by adding a spouse or partner to their insurance policy, as long as they actually use your vehicle – just make sure they have a clean driving record before doing so. Some insurance providers offer a discount of up to 20 percent just for adding your spouse or partner, so it is certainly worth inquiring.
- Consider the driving record of anyone you add to your policy. On the other side to the above, adding a younger driver or a driver with penalty points on their license could actually increase your premium instead of bringing it down.
- Getting the right cover for you is vital as depending on the age of your vehicle and how often you driver you may be better off purchasing a lower level of cover. Third party, fire and theft may be worth considering over fully comprehensive if you have an older car or don’t drive regularly or for very long distances, in order to save money.
- Avoid over-valuing your vehicle. You can only claim whatever the insurance company’s assessor deems is the value of the vehicle so if you over-value your car when taking out cover you may end up paying more than you need to for your insurance premium.
- Voluntary excess affects the amount you have to pay in the event you need to make a claim. The price of excess can vary but is typically between €250 & €500. Higher excesses are available however, and while this does reduce your premium, it also means an increase in costs for you if you do need to claim, so it’s not recommended for everyone.
- Pay your insurance in one go instead of monthly installments. If you can afford to do this, it saves you money as paying for you premium on a monthly basis means that interest of up to 20% is added on to your premium, depending on your provider.
Is your policy up for renewal in the near future or are you looking to get insurance for the first time? Click here to get an AA Car Insurance quote online.